Petrale Sole with Cauliflower, Roasted Grapes and Prune Chipotle Sauce
puréed Prunes improve the texture of sauces and provide a natural sweetness which balances the spice of this mole sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Mark Liberman and the California Prune Board.
Prune Chipotle purée:
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish onions
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup California Prunes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup browned butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- 1 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted almonds
- 2 cups grapes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (4 to 6-oz.) petrale sole filets
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup arugula leaves
1. To prepare sauce, gently cook onions in oil over medium heat until lightly Caramelised. Deglaze with brandy and cook to burn off alcohol. Add remaining sauce ingredients and cook gently for 25 minutes or until Prunes are soft. Place in a blender and purée until smooth, season with salt and keep warm.
2. While sauce is cooking, preheat oven to 400°F. Combine brown butter, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Add cauliflower and toss to coat. Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and toss with almonds and chives; keep warm.
3. To roast grapes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F, Toss grapes, olive oil and salt together in a small bowl. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and keep warm.
4. To prepare sole, heat butter and oil over medium heat in a very large skillet. Lightly season fish with salt and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Add fish to skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side or until golden brown. Flip gently and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from pan with a slotted spatula.
5. Spoon desired amount of Prune Chipotle purée onto 4 plates and place fish on top. Reheat the cauliflower mixture, if necessary, and top fish with arugula leaves, cauliflower and roasted grapes.